Downloading and Installing the ICQ Software
- To REGISTER yourself with ICQ you need to:
- Make certain you are Online
- Click on Add/Change Current User
- When the next window comes up, click on Register A New User (ICQ#)
- The next screen will identify the Operating System you are using. You will then need to click on how you are connected to the Internet. Through a LAN (Local Area Network) or by a Modem.
- On the Next Screen, for the User Type Select: Regular User
** See Example Below:
- Enter a Nick Name. This will be the name that shows up on another ICQ User's Contact List.
- Enter Your First Name
- Enter Your Last Name
- Click on Next
The next set has "Optional Details: You can fill out what parts of this you want other folks to know about you. When you are finished, click on Next.
The next screen is information for the folks at ICQ. You can select to have your information included in the survey but anonymously or to NOT include your information in their survey. Click on Next.
On the following screen you WILL need to create a password for ICQ so that it can verify who you are when you log on. This is helpful when there is more than one person using a computer and they too have an ICQ account.
- Enter a password then enter in again in the Confirm Password box.
On the Privacy Level, you can select how you want other users to add you to their Contact List. You can let anyone add you or . . . you can select "My authorization is required".
- If you select "My authorization is required.", you will get a notice when someone wants to add you to their contact list. You can then grant or deny them the right to add you. If you grant them the right, your Nick Name will show up on their Contact List. If you deny them the right to add you, your name will not be added to their contact list and they will not be able to send you on-line messages or chat with you.
The last section is Other Options: Select Publish my online presence on the World Wide Web. This will let others who have you on their contact list know when you are online. Click on Next.
The next screen should show you have Successfully Registered and provide you with your ICQ # which you can send to other ICQ users. Click on Next.
The next screen will allow ICQ to send you your email. Typically, users leave this blank, since they are using their own email packages. Click on Next.
The last screen will let you know you have successfully registered to the ICQ network. Click Done.
Finally, you will get a System Message, see example below:
Click on ICQ Chat and you the next screen
will come up.